NI4OS General info
National Initiatives for Open Science in Europe – NI4OS- Europe, aims to be a core contributor to the European Open Science Cloud (EOSC). Open science plays an important role in scientific research. Open Cloud offers a wide range of services including computing, data management and storage. EOSC is a trustworthy digital platform that provides scientists with continuous access to the entire research data cycle at the European level. NI4OS intends to support the development of national Open Science Cloud schemes in 15 EU Member States and associated countries. It will design, analyse and categorise the national Open Science environment in these countries to create national OSC structures to support general EOSC governance.
- Project number: 857645
- Call identifier: H2020-INFRAEOSC-2018-3
- Project start date: 1st September, 2019
- Project period: 3,5 years
- Project budget: 5.992.475 EUR
- Kick-off date: 8-10 October, 2019
- Homepage: https://ni4os.eu/
1. Mission and vision of the project are to be a core contributor to European Open Science Cloud service portfolio, commit to EOSC governance and ensure inclusiveness on the European level.
2. Spread the EOSC and FAIR principles in the community and train it, and provide technical and policy support in on-boarding of the existing and future service providers into EOSC, including generic services.
3. The overall approach is that the national Open Science landscape in all countries will be mapped, analysed and systematized so as to facilitate both the creation of national OSC initiatives to support the overall EOSC governance, and to engage all stakeholders.
4. A set of providers (generic e-Infrastructure providers, thematic providers, repositories) will be on-boarded into EOSC - following the best practices, policies, guidelines and tools formulated by the project, in alignment with the existing EOSC initiatives and standards.
- Ethniko Diktyo Erevnas Technologias AE
- ATHINA-Erevnitiko Kentro Kainotomias stis Technologies tis Pliroforias, ton Epikoinonion kai tis Gnosis
- The Cyprus Institute
- University of Cyprus
- Institute of Information and Communication Technologies
- Sveuciliste u Zagreb - Sveucilisni Racunski Centar
- Ruđer Bošković Institute
- Kormanyzati Informatikai Fejlesztesi Ugynokseg
- Debreceni Egyetem
- Institutul National de Cercerate-Dezvoltare in Informatica – ICI Bucuresti
- Unitatea Executiva pentru Finantarea Invatamantului Superior, a Cercetarii, Dezvoltarii si Inovarii
- Akademska raziskovalna mreza Slovenije
- Univerza v Mariboru, Univerzitetna knjiznica Maribor
- Institut za fiziku
- Univerzitet u Beogradu
- Qendra Nderuniversitare e Sherbimeve Dhe Rrjetit Telematik
- Univerzitet u Banjoj Luci
- Ss. Cyril and Methodius University in Skopje
- Javna Ustanova Univerzitet Crne Gore Podgorica
- Research and Educational Networking Association of Moldova
Republic of Moldova
- Institute for Informatics and Automation Problems of the National Academy of Sciences of the Republic of Armenia
- Georgian Research and Educational Networking Association
Authorized contact persons and members
Project Coordinator: Ognjen Prnjat
Project Director: Eleni Toli
Project Financial Manager: Evangelina Athanasaki
Project Communication Coordinator: Dimitra Kotsokali
Project Innovation Manager/Coordinator: Judit Fazekas-Paragh
Project Quality Assurance Coordinator: Milutina Radonjic
WP1: Project administrative and technical management: Evangelia Athanasaki
WP2: EOSC national initiatives and policy support: Eleni Toli
WP3: Federation and on-boarding operational mechanism and tools: Anastas Mishev
WP4: ORDM, processes, tools, certification themes: Branko Marovic
WP5: Service provider integration, on-boarding and horizontal service maintenance: Dusan Vudragovic
WP6: User engagement, training and demonstrators: Andreas Athenodorou
WP7: Communication, marketing, sustainability and innovation: Judit Fazekas-Paragh
Resource portfolio management tool
NI4OS RPMT implements EOSC Profiles v3.0 and it has an extensive API available at https://agora.ni4os.eu/api/v2. It is tightly integrated with NI4OS-Europe AAI and to get access one needs to log in and then send a request to be given the appropriate rights as a Provide Admin or a Resource admin. More info on how to add resources in agora can be found at
Configuration Management Database
Authentication & Authorisation Infrastructure (AAI) service
The NI4OS-Europe helpdesk is the main tool of the project's support system. All stakeholders within the project use the helpdesk: resource users, resource owners, and project management. It supports ticket management, including ticket creation, assignment/reassignment to the appropriate unit, escalation, closing, searching, etc. The helpdesk classifies tickets per support unit and notifies relevant actors about ticket changes. The helpdesk is based on OTRS technology and can be easly integrated with external resources.
Please use the helpdesk submission form to create a ticket within the NI4OS-Europe helpdesk. Using "resource type" and "resource" fields, one can specify to which resource the question or problem is related. Otherwise, if not sure, our first-line support team will identify the relevant support unit.
- Training platform https://training.ni4os.eu/
- Training events https://events.ni4os.eu/category/2/
The accounting service collects, analyzes and then provides information about the usage of services for example HPC usage, storage data, virtual machines data. The service provides information only related to NI4OS/EOSC services and is available to the project management team and the service administrators. In the accounting service the users are able to browse data represented by tables, charts and graphs. NI4OS accounting service is available at https://accounting.ni4os.eu/
On-boarded resource providers
- Service categorization
- Technology Readiness Level
- Resource on-boarding team
- Service on-boarding procedure
T4.2 “Policies and guidelines for incorporation and implementation of FAIR data practices”
- RePol - Registry Policy Generator - Description and Documentation - For establishing repository policies and privacy policies for online services (also related to T4.3 as produced policies also need to be open and FAIR data)
T4.3 “Open and FAIR data in practice: tools for RDM following the data lifecycle”
- RoLECT - EOSC RoP Legal & Ethics Compliance - Description and Documentation - Self-assessment against the EOSC) RoP Legal & Ethics Compliance requirements. Ensures data is adequately managed by a service (also related to T4.2 and T4.4 due to helping in adhering to the underlying service-level policies).
T4.4 “Certification schemes for a free flow of data”
- LCT - License Clearance Tool - Description and Documentation - Easy and automated approach in license clearance. Helps in IPR management by making sure data is properly licensed, thus supporting the reuse of research outputs.